Saturday 6 August 2011

Constitution Hill

Today I got to play tourist in my own country. Christi had to go to Constitution Hill to get pictures for a History assignment so I tagged along considering, and I am ashamed to say this, I had never been before. It was quite a chilling experience to see the jails where struggle heroes like Nelson Mandela, Albertina Sisulu, Winnie Madikizela- Mandela, Barbara Hogan and Mahatma Gandhi were held. We also got to see the Constitutional Court, the highest court in the land. The court, as well as the foyer, are really beautifully decorated. So much thought has gone into every little detail making everything hugely symbolic. There is also a lovely little art exhibition, which has some rather interesting pieces. Going to Constitution Hill made me realize that there is so much about South Africa's history that people of my generation will never actually understand because we weren't apart of it. I think that's why it's important to go to places like this. So, I'm going to make more an effort to visit the places that are right on my doorstep. I think it would be shameful not to. 


A passbook. 

For minor misdemeanors, prisoners were deprived of their meals and made to stand next to the red buckets in the courtyard. From there they could see and smell the meals that the other prisoners received. Talk about torture. 


The doors to the Constitutional Court have all 27 Human Rights carved into it in South Africa's 11 official languages as well as sign language. 

This flag ,which is in the Constitutional Court, is made out of really pretty bead work. 


Inside the Constitutional Court. 

The nine provinces.



One of my favourite pieces: Speaker of the House by Norman Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment