Tuesday 2 August 2011

Rupa & the April Fishes

Say hello to Rupa Marya. You'll like her, she's cool. She fronts Rupa & the April Fishes, a group from San Francisco. 

This is Rupa with the April Fishes. They are all equally cool, I promise. 

This is their first album, eXtraOrdinary rendition.

This is their second album, Este Mundo.

"Et c'est pour ça mon ami que je me trouve ici
où les rues se croisent sous les étoiles
même si j'ai voulu te suivre
je n'appartiens qu'au ciel"

"And it is for this reason my friend that I am here
where the streets cross under the stars
and even if I wanted to follow you
I only belong to the sky"
-Soy payaso, Este Mundo-


Rupa & the April Fishes have been entertaining my ears and I non-stop for the past few days. I got their second album, Este Mundo.Their pertinent lyrics are sung in Spanish, French and English and provide very relevant social commentary about migration, specifically migrants crossing the US-Mexico border. The theme of migration, however, is a universal one. Us South Africans are no strangers to these issues. The frighteningly brutal xenophobia attacks in 2008 are probably the best example of how South Africa is struggling to deal with the problems that arise from migration.

Apart from making me think a whole lot about an issue that we all like to push to the back of our minds, this album really makes me want to dance. Crazy, exuberant dance. The perfect combination of trumpet, guitar, cello, accordion, upright bass and drums makes my pulse start pounding each and every time I listen to the splendid music.

You have to go and check this band out. If you don't like them, then you have very questionable taste in music. I'm sorry, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Official website
Myspace page
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment