Monday 10 September 2012

CocoRosie's freak folk

Have you ever heard about freak folk? Nah, me neither. According to good ol' Wikipedia, freak folk  "draws from traditional folk music and uses mainly acoustic instrumentation, but introduces elements of avant-garde music, baroque pop and psychedelic folk, often featuring uncommon sounds, themes, and vocal styles."

Now that we have the weird genre thing sorted out, let me tell you about the even weirder CocoRosie, an experimental freak folk duo from the States. They combine pop, blues, opera, electronica and hip hop to create a sound quite unlike anything I have ever heard before. Admittedly,  I may be slightly addicted. Take a listen and let me know what you think.

If you want to get your hands on more CocoRosie, visit their Myspace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment